Economics is Power, not Math: Why the Dems Should Attack Monopoly
by Barry C. Lynn
Until the Reagan Revolution, American politics reflected the understanding that concentrated economic power was corrosive to democracy. Today, the Democrats need to revive that story as a political argument.
SOURCE: The Atlantic
The Prices on Your Monopoly Board Hold a Dark Secret
The value hierarchy of properties on the Monopoly game board reflect the history of Atlantic City; the game was created as the Great Migration brought African Americans north to New Jersey and spurred northern cities and their white residents to create and defend residential segregation.
Monopoly in the 20th Century: Roosevelt Warns of Concentrated Wealth and Fascism (Excerpt)
by Thom Hartmann
Franklin Roosevelt recognized that the concentrated economic power of big businesses was a threat to democratic society and a step on the road to fascism, and wasn't afraid to say it.
Internet Access Proves Necessary to ‘Participate in Life’ During Pandemic
Harvard Law Professor Susan Crawford argues that the regulatory system for electric utilities established by Franklin Roosevelt in the 1930s is a model for necessary reforms to the telecommunicatins industry to ensure all Americans can access the internet.
SOURCE: LA Times
Ms. Monopoly is here. Psst: A woman invented the game in the first place
The Monopoly game was the brainchild of a woman named Lizzie Magie at the turn of the 20th century.
SOURCE: The New Republic
An Anti-Capitalist Woman Invented Monopoly and a Man Got All the Credit
by Jen Doll
The surprising origins of a beloved board game
- Graduate Student Strikes Fight Back Against Decades of Austerity, Seek to Revive Opportunity
- When Right Wingers Struggle with Defining "Woke" it Shows they Oppose Pursuing Equality
- Strangelove on the Square: Secret USAF Films Showed Airmen What to Expect if Nuclear War Broke Out
- The Women of the Montgomery Bus Boycott
- US House "Parental Rights" Bill Threatens to Take Book Banning Nationwide
- New Books Force Consideration of Reconstruction's End from Black Perspective
- Excerpt: How Apartheid South Africa Tried to Create a Libertarian Utopia
- Historian's Book on 1970s NBA Shows Racial Politics around Basketball Have Always Been Ugly
- Kendi: "Anti-woke" Part of Backlash Against Antiracist Protest Movements
- Monica Muñoz Martinez Honored for Truth-Telling in Texas History