Originally published 10/23/2015
The Alarming Parallels this Historian Sees Between What’s Going on in Congress Today and the Antebellum Congresses He Studies
Michael Todd Landis
Originally published 10/14/2015
The world changed after the New Deal, but the GOP kept promising it could turn the clock backwards. But it can’t.
Originally published 10/01/2015
He wasn't forced out. His resignation was intended as a warning to his party. We can only hope it's heard.
Originally published 09/29/2015
It is time to get very afraid: Extremists, authoritarians now run the GOP — and no one can stop them
Heather Cox Richardson
Boehner and McConnell weren't conservative enough for them. Nor Eric Cantor. Right-wing purists won't stop here
Originally published 09/28/2015
Boehner should best be seen as a figure whose Speakership came as a result of forces beyond his control, but who operated within this system to aggressively expand the institutional authority of the House.
Originally published 01/30/2015
"The audacity of Speaker of the House John Boehner colluding with the prime minister of a foreign country to undermine a sitting president is, I think, still not entirely appreciated."
Originally published 10/21/2013
CUNY Graduate Center's new five year fellowships
Originally published 10/20/2015
The so-called House Freedom Caucus, representing the people who made his job so impossible that Speaker John Boehner announced that he was quitting Congress, are demanding a Speaker for themselves.
- Savannah Approves Changes to Confederate Monument From 1875
- Law Professor Eric Posner Proposes Bringing Back Indentured Servitude
- Public Rates Presidents: Kennedy, Reagan, Obama at Top
- Elizabeth Warren’s striking speech responding to Trump’s “Pocahontas” taunts
- When the next generation looks racially different from the last, political tensions rise
- Was This Technology historian plagiarized? Sure seems like she was.
- Meet the new authorized historian of Britain's communications intelligence agency
- Lerone Bennett Jr., journalist and historian of African American life, dies at 89
- What departments of history are doing about lower enrollments