SOURCE: The Atlantic
Since the end of Prohibition, American restaurants have experienced a golden age. The coronavirus crisis has brought that era to a close.
SOURCE: Washington Post
by Andrew Lynn
Over 100 years, a tactic first designed to keep workers happy morphed into a marketing strategy.
SOURCE: New York Times
As the coronavirus spreads, the collapse of the project helps explain America’s acute shortage.
This temporary suspension of shipments by third-party sellers will go through April 5.
SOURCE: The Conversation
by Stephanie Decker
With this 178-year-old firm, its heritage is about to be lost and a number of business historians – myself included – are fighting to save it.
SOURCE: NY Times
by Kenneth T. Jackson
History is clear: A city that rejects economic opportunity will lose its status as the center of the business world.
by Barbara G. Ellis
US corporations have exploited national pride to reap huge profits from taxpayer-funded wars.
Dean of Harvard Business School says historians need to start writing more biographies of business leaders
by Nitin Nohria
He believes this would help set a norm of better behavior for them.
by Steve Denning
"Carlota Perez shows us that historically technological revolutions arrive with remarkable regularity, and that economies react to them in predictable phases.”
SOURCE: The New Yorker
by Jill Lepore
The Disruption Machine
by Stephen Mihm
The break between the GOP and the business community is literally unprecedented.
by Robert Huddleston
Editor's Note: On the tenth anniversary of the Space Shuttle Columbia re-entry disaster, Robert Huddleston, a NASA engineer in the 1960s, explains how NASA's top-heavy, mixture-of-public-and-private culture, so problematic during the shuttle program and a contributing factor to both the Columbia and Challenger disasters, dates back to the beginning of the agency.Related LinksHNN Hot Topics: Space Shuttle Columbia Disaster NASA brass meet with President Kennedy in 1961. Photo via Wiki Commons.
- Chris Hayes on How Police Treat Black Americans like Colonial Subjects
- 5 Ways to Rebuild Labor and Transform America
- Trump's Praise for China over Tiananmen Square Years ago was a Preview of his Support for Military Crackdowns on the George Floyd Protests
- For the First Time in 30 Years, Hong Kong Will Not Hold a Mass Vigil Commemorating the Tiananmen Square Massacre
- America's New Nihilism
- Why Teachers, Not Reformers, Should “Reimagine Education”
- COVID, Race, and a Pivotal Moment for America
- The Memo: Trump Lags in Polls as Crises Press
- Explaining the Insurrection Act of 1807 and Looking Back on Nixon’s Law & Order Campaign (Podcast)
- Trump Declared Himself the 'President of Law and Order.' Here's What People Get Wrong About the Origins of That Idea