SOURCE: The Third Narrative Blog
Trump's Executive Order, Jewish Identity, and Free Speech
The prevailing notion that Jews are basically followers of a religion does not adequately define most Jews, who are either not religious or only marginally so.
Trump's Executive Order Censors Free Speech on College Campuses
by Ed Simon
The House Un-American Activities Committee and the real intent of Trump's "free speech" executive order.
SOURCE: Sandbox (blog)
Martin Kramer notes how a ban on Jews in the 1930s affected historian Bernard Lewis
by Martin Kramer
"Trump’s limited executive order doesn’t resemble the sweeping Jewish ban that changed the career of Bernard Lewis.”
Huddled Masses–Keep Out!
by Bob Buzzanco
Not since I had to remember and recite “The New Colossus” in elementary school have I seen so many references to Emma Lazarus’s poem on the Statue of Liberty as in the past week.
SOURCE: Informed Comment
German Ambassador 1933: “Hostility to Jews Aimed Mainly at ‘Immigrants' ”
by Juan Cole
On the similarities between the Trump / Bannon inaugural speech and Fascist ideology.
Trump’s Immigration Ban Is Illegal
by David J. Bier
Congress long ago outlawed discrimination based on national origin.
More than 500 historians have signed a petition against the Trump immigration ban
The petition criticizes the executive order restricting immigration from select Muslim countries.
President Obama Needs to Address One More Problem with an Executive Order
by Benjamin Hellwege
Older Americans are facing rampant job discrimination. The law enacted in 1967 to protect them has been weakened by the Supreme Court. Congress won’t act. Obama should.
- Chair of Florida Charter School Board on Firing of Principal: About Policy, Not David Statue
- Graduate Student Strikes Fight Back Against Decades of Austerity, Seek to Revive Opportunity
- When Right Wingers Struggle with Defining "Woke" it Shows they Oppose Pursuing Equality
- Strangelove on the Square: Secret USAF Films Showed Airmen What to Expect if Nuclear War Broke Out
- The Women of the Montgomery Bus Boycott
- New Books Force Consideration of Reconstruction's End from Black Perspective
- Excerpt: How Apartheid South Africa Tried to Create a Libertarian Utopia
- Historian's Book on 1970s NBA Shows Racial Politics around Basketball Have Always Been Ugly
- Kendi: "Anti-woke" Part of Backlash Against Antiracist Protest Movements
- Monica Muñoz Martinez Honored for Truth-Telling in Texas History