SOURCE: The Conversation
by Randall Curren and Charles Dorn
Seventy-five years ago, at the height of America’s involvement in World War II, the U.S. Supreme Court handed down a decision in West Virginia State Board of Education v. Barnette that guaranteed public school students’ right to refuse to stand in patriotic salute.
SOURCE: The Washington Post
by Christopher Petrella
Requiring displays of patriotism have often been tied to nativism and bigotry.
SOURCE: The American Prospect
by Peter Dreier
Donald Trump’s vision of America clashes sharply with the original intent behind the Pledge of Allegiance, penned during the Gilded Age to promote equity, tolerance, and progressive ideals.
Historian Gerald Horne says the resolute insistence upon the Pledge of Allegiance plays into a racist narrative
The narrative is based on the collective denial that the American Republic was founded on the enslavement of people of African descent along with the expropriation of the land and property of the Native Americans, he said in an interview.
SOURCE: FOX News
Historian Charles Angeletti says he uses the pledge to get students thinking.
by Rick Shenkman
Nothing seems more natural to an American than to venerate the patriotic symbols that represent America. But we didn't always.
by Peter Dreier and Dick Flacks
The liberal origins of many all-American patriotic rituals.
- Santae Tribble, Whose Wrongful Conviction Revealed FBI Forensic Hair Match Flaws, Dies at 59
- Crowd Rallies to Keep Confederate Memorial in Downtown St. Augustine
- As Divisions Threaten America, The Pressure To Cancel Presidents Is Dangerous
- Trump is Going All In on Divisive Culture Wars. That Might not Work this Time.
- Redskins, Indians and the Long Push to Drop Native American Mascots
- How to Confront a Racist National History
- The Politics of Race are Shifting, and Politicians are Struggling to Keep Pace
- Trump’s Push to Amplify Racism Unnerves Republicans who have Long Enabled Him
- The Day the White Working Class Turned Republican (Review)
- David Starkey Criticised over Slavery Comments