SOURCE: Los Angeles Review of Books
Histories of Violence: When Freedom Turns Ugly
American Studies scholar Elizabeth Anker's work examines "ugly freedom," in which the capacity of one group to dominate another is constructed as the positive social value of liberty. She discusses it with philosopher Brad Evans.
Liberty, Freedom, and Whiteness: Reviewing Tyler Stovall's "White Freedom"
by Alan J. Singer
Tyler Stovall's book is a searching examination of the historical connections between a developing white identity, the Enlightenment concepts of liberty, and the political practice of racial hierarchy.
SOURCE: The Nation
Liberty’s Discontents: The Contested History of Freedom
Annelien de Dijn's book examines the tensions and contradictions inherent in the idea of freedom, arguing that the individualistic, liberty-focused ideal is a recent phenomenon and has obscured ideas of freedom rooted in democracy and collective security.
SOURCE: New York Times
There’s a Word for Why We Wear Masks, and Liberals Should Say It
by Michael Tomasky
"Say this: Freedom means the freedom not to get infected by the idiot who refuses to mask up. Even John Stuart Mill would have agreed."
SOURCE: Boston Review
Is Freedom White?
by Jefferson Cowie
In American mythology, there exists a gauzy past when white citizens were left alone to do as they pleased with their land and their labor (even if it was land stolen and labor enslaved). In the legend, those days of freedom and equality were, and still are, perpetually under assault.
SOURCE: Washington Post
Ken Burns: Our Monuments are Representations of Myth, Not Fact
James Baldwin reflects on the complexity of "liberty" in the context of anti-black racism.
Can Timothy McVeigh and His Ilk Claim Jefferson as a Hero of Liberty?
by M. Andrew Holowchak
They have, but Jefferson was never committed to liberty per se, but always committed to liberty in the service of intellectual and moral advance.
The Question We Need to Remember to Ask Ourselves If We Want to Keep Our Freedoms
by Christopher L. Webber
What if the experiment in liberty should perish from the earth or be limited to America and other western democracies?
- Chair of Florida Charter School Board on Firing of Principal: About Policy, Not David Statue
- Graduate Student Strikes Fight Back Against Decades of Austerity, Seek to Revive Opportunity
- When Right Wingers Struggle with Defining "Woke" it Shows they Oppose Pursuing Equality
- Strangelove on the Square: Secret USAF Films Showed Airmen What to Expect if Nuclear War Broke Out
- The Women of the Montgomery Bus Boycott
- New Books Force Consideration of Reconstruction's End from Black Perspective
- Excerpt: How Apartheid South Africa Tried to Create a Libertarian Utopia
- Historian's Book on 1970s NBA Shows Racial Politics around Basketball Have Always Been Ugly
- Kendi: "Anti-woke" Part of Backlash Against Antiracist Protest Movements
- Monica Muñoz Martinez Honored for Truth-Telling in Texas History