Originally published 07/03/2017
Joseph J. Ellis
John Adams’s choice, July 2, makes more sense. That was the day independence was officially decided. But we are right to celebrate the fourth since that's the date Americans always have.
Originally published 03/06/2017
Federalists even passed a law allowing the authorities to jail journalists.
Originally published 03/03/2017
The people who turned Crispus Attucks into a hero of the Revolution.
Originally published 11/17/2016
Obama may be on his way out, but like John Adams, there’s a lot a president can do in his final days in office.
Originally published 10/24/2014
Harlow Giles Unger
“I had never before heard myself named for the office and had not even thought of it. I was pleased as well as surprised and bowed in silence. Next day I was nominated.”
- Sources: McMaster Mocked Trump’s Intelligence at a Private Dinner
- The JFK assassination files lead back to Seattle
- Princeton investigates its connection to slavery at a two-day symposium
- Rare Documents Show a Palm Reader's Take on Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt
- A Photo of Billy the Kid Bought for $10 at a Flea Market May Be Worth Millions
- Historian Says Textbooks Have Shaped Our Attitudes On Race
- Heather Ann Thompson says what went on at Attica is worse than we thought
- Princeton’s Jan T. Gross warns that Poland’s showing signs of turning decisively in a fascist direction
- Gar Alperovitz is still pushing to make America more democratic
- Robert Dallek: “The fish rots from the head”