Originally published 02/13/2015
The surprise is it’s in formal rebellion against western education its members never received.
Originally published 06/09/2014
There are moments in our history when we have to act as if we really believe that we are indeed our brothers’ and our sisters’ keeper. This is one of them.
Originally published 05/30/2014
John Edward Philips
Boko Haram, as many know by now, means “Western Education is forbidden” in the Hausa language of northern Nigeria and neighboring countries.
Originally published 05/12/2014
Timothy R. Furnish
Nigeria’s position on the fault-line between Christian and Muslim civilization appears not just increasingly precarious, but dangerously unsustainable.
- 50 Years Later, It Feels Familiar: How America Fractured in 1968
- Hawaii False Alarm Hints at Thin Line Between Mishap and Nuclear War
- Ohio Teacher Put on Leave After Lynching Remark to Black Student
- One year in, Donald Trump has redefined the presidency
- In Trump’s Immigration Remarks, Echoes of a Century-Old Racial Ranking
- Sports Historian Explains Why She Wrote that the NCAA is the Modern Jim Crow
- Ibram X. Kendi says "The Heartbeat of Racism Is Denial”
- Historians Call Trump’s ‘Sh*thole’ Comment "The Most Openly Racist by a President in Decades"
- Bruce Cole, renaissance scholar who led National Endowment for the Humanities, dies at 79
- New book lays out for the first time the full story of Cuba's Cuban Missile Crisis