SOURCE: Public Books
Is Globalization Changing Mexico's Relationship to Death?
by Humberto Beck
Post-revolutionary Mexico embraced cultural commemorations of the dead—Diá de los Muertos—to help conceal the violence of the regime's rise. Now, that "traditional" culture is again being transformed by global cultural appropriation and the escalating violence of global drug trafficking.
SOURCE: The New Yorker
What Do We Do with Our Dead?
by Jill Lepore
Our mortuary conventions reveal a lot about our relation to the past.
When Is Someone Dead?
by Robert M. Veatch and Lainie F. Ross
Since the 1950s that’s become a hotly contested question.
Seeking the Good Death
by Emily K. Abel
Pediatric ward, University of Pennsylvania Hospital, 1907.Although most terminally ill Americans define a good death as one that occurs at home surrounded by family, a high proportion of people die alone in hospitals, tethered to machines. And many high technology treatments administered to dying patients impose enormous financial costs and inflict additional suffering without significantly extending life.
SOURCE: Discovery News
Famed Warrior Medici Died From Gangrene
The legendary Renaissance warrior Giovanni de’ Medici did not die from an improperly amputated leg, as widely believed, but an infection.Also known as “Giovanni dalle Bande Nere” for the black bands of mourning he wore after the death of Pope Leo X, the 16th century army commander was exhumed last November from his tomb in the Medici Chapels in Florence. Researchers also exhumed the bones of his wife, Maria Salviati.The couple married in 1516, when she was 17 and he was 18. The marriage produced only one child: Cosimo I, who reigned as the first Grand Duke of Tuscany, creating the Uffizi and the magnificent Boboli Gardens as well as finishing the Pitti Palace....
- SC Barbecue Restaurant With History of Civil Rights Rejection in News Again
- Chair of Florida Charter School Board on Firing of Principal: About Policy, Not David Statue
- Graduate Student Strikes Fight Back Against Decades of Austerity, Seek to Revive Opportunity
- When Right Wingers Struggle with Defining "Woke" it Shows they Oppose Pursuing Equality
- Strangelove on the Square: Secret USAF Films Showed Airmen What to Expect if Nuclear War Broke Out
- Could the Infrastructure Bill End Drunk Driving?
- How "Christian" is Christian Nationalism?
- James Kloppenberg Reviews New Books on Democracy and Polarization
- Does Gov. Whitmer Have a Formula for a Democratic Response to GOP Culture War?
- New Books Force Consideration of Reconstruction's End from Black Perspective