Originally published 11/19/2013
Reagan learned a lesson from the Able Archer 83 war scare.
Originally published 11/05/2013
The military exercise Able Archer nearly provoked a pre-emptive Soviet strike.
Originally published 11/08/2017
Once General Robert E. Lee’s right-hand man, General Longstreet would become known as ‘the Judas of the Lost Cause.’
Originally published 12/11/2016
Mark Byrnes's Facing Backwards
What has disturbed so many of us about Trump's election is that the choice that 46.2 % of the voters made is so antithetical to our vision of what America can and should be.
- Robert Dallek: “The fish rots from the head”
- It’s Been 3 Decades Since There Were So Few Jobs for History Ph.D.s
- Former Berkeley Chancellor Nicholas Dirks returns to campus as a member of the history department
- Conservatives attack Garry Wills’s book on the Quran
- The Scholars Behind the Quest for Reparations