Originally published 10/24/2014
The huge US offensive in Okinawa—the only part of Japan where US forces fought on the ground—lasted eighty-two days in the spring of 1945 and cost about as many lives altogether as the atom bombs themselves.
Originally published 08/13/2014
This is the first time that all three ingredients have been discovered on ex-Pentagon property on Okinawa.
Originally published 06/03/2014
The Most Haunting Interview You'll Ever Read: When Japanese Islanders Were Ordered to Commit Mass Suicide
"I don’t remember exactly how we killed our mother, maybe we tried to use rope at first, but in the end we hit her over the head with stones."
Originally published 02/25/2014
The establishment of a U.S. military fiefdom on Okinawa was part of the Cold War practice of dividing nations.
Originally published 10/31/2013
But the Japanese prime minister endorsed the continuing presence of U.S. forces in Okinawa.
- New museum in Poland -- the grandest space created since 1989 -- tells the story of the Jews
- Lewinsky mistreated by authorities in investigation of Clinton, report says
- Scientists Say Proof Of Jack The Ripper's Identity Is Fatally Flawed
- Memorial for black Revolutionary War soldiers finds spot on Mall after 30 years
- Sherlock Holmes star to feature in a new movie about Alan Turning
- How Laurel Thatcher Ulrich caught up with the past
- Postal Workers Take on Harvard President, historian Drew Faust
- Symposium held in honor of John D’Emilio
- Thousands of Historic Archives from British Asylums to Go Online
- American Studies Association boycott of Israel: Conservatives say it’s weakening