Speaker of the House
Originally published 10/27/2015
What can he learn from the ghosts of speakers past?
Originally published 10/19/2015
The speaker has far more power in the House than any one senator has in the Senate. And at times in our history, the speaker's power has rivaled that of the president himself.
Originally published 10/14/2015
Republicans are split on how to balance broad participation against the efficient functioning of the institution.
Originally published 10/18/2013
Foley presided over the House from 1989 to 1994.
Originally published 07/19/2015
What Does Rockville, Maryland's Confederate Monument Tell Us About the Civil War? About the Nadir? About the Present?
It's time to remove this monument.
- Historian Daniel K. Williams says Democrats have a religion problem
- Bill O’Reilly – America’s best-selling “historian” – ridiculed in Harper’s for writing bad history
- Largest history festival is the UK criticized for being white and male
- Eric Foner doesn’t think much of a book that claims Lincoln moved slowly to emancipate blacks because he was a racist
- Harvard's Moshik Temkin pens op ed in the NYT warning historians not to use analogies