Speaker of the House
Originally published 10/27/2015
What can he learn from the ghosts of speakers past?
Originally published 10/19/2015
The speaker has far more power in the House than any one senator has in the Senate. And at times in our history, the speaker's power has rivaled that of the president himself.
Originally published 10/14/2015
Republicans are split on how to balance broad participation against the efficient functioning of the institution.
Originally published 10/18/2013
Foley presided over the House from 1989 to 1994.
Originally published 07/19/2015
What Does Rockville, Maryland's Confederate Monument Tell Us About the Civil War? About the Nadir? About the Present?
It's time to remove this monument.
- Humans Hard-Wired to Teach, Anthropologist Says
- Parents outraged after students shown ‘white guilt’ cartoon for Black History Month
- Maryland is once again considering retiring its state song
- One of the last remaining Nazis goes on trial in Germany
- Inside story finally told of the young US diplomat who cracked the case of the murder of 4 nuns in El Salvador in 1980
- Historian at the center of Sanders-Clinton debate
- James Loewen Says Additional Baltimore Confederate Statues Should be Removed
- NYT History Book Reviews: Who Got Noticed this Week?
- A historian’s advice to students thinking of getting a PhD in a tough economic climate
- German historian Heinz Richter cleared of charges