How the Shocking Use of Gas in World War I Led Nations to Ban It
"In 1925, the League of Nations adopted the Geneva Protocol, which prohibited the use of chemical and biological agents in war, but did not stop nations from continuing to develop and stockpile such weapons."
SOURCE: Made By History at The Washington Post
The Long History of Chemical Weapons in Civilian Law Enforcement
by Thomas Faith
Chemical weapons developed for World War I found their way into civilian policing to repress labor movements despite the objections of military leaders like General John Pershing.
SOURCE: The Washington Post
Hitler refused to use sarin during WWII. The mystery is why.
Over the years, historians (armchair and scholarly) and psychologists have speculated that maybe Hitler didn’t use sarin because he was a victim of a mustard gas attack in 1918, during World War I, and knew the misery of such weapons.
SOURCE: Informed Comment
Washington’s demonization of Foes jumps Shark with Sean Spicer on Hitler
by Juan Cole
But Spicer’s problem was not in misspeaking. He got himself into trouble because he just did what Washington does. He demonized the enemy du jour.
SOURCE: The Hill
Trump Press Secretary Sean Spicer: Even Hitler didn't use chemical weapons
Later in the briefing, Spicer walked back his remarks when a reporter challenged him to explain, saying Hitler didn’t use chemical weapons “in the same way” as Assad.
When chemical weapons killed 90,000
World War I ushered in an era of chemical weapons use that lingers, lethally, into the present day.
SOURCE: USA Today
Syria's history of chemical warfare is 1.7K years old
Noxious gases were used during a siege of a Roman city in 256 AD.
Why Are Chemical Weapons So Bad?
by Thomas I. Faith
"War is abhorrent to the individual, yet he accepts blowing men to pieces with high explosives ... however, to burn the skin of a man outrages all his civilized instincts."
The Case for Intervention in Syria
by Robert Brent Toplin
Chemical weapons must be off-limits in war.
- Chair of Florida Charter School Board on Firing of Principal: About Policy, Not David Statue
- Graduate Student Strikes Fight Back Against Decades of Austerity, Seek to Revive Opportunity
- When Right Wingers Struggle with Defining "Woke" it Shows they Oppose Pursuing Equality
- Strangelove on the Square: Secret USAF Films Showed Airmen What to Expect if Nuclear War Broke Out
- The Women of the Montgomery Bus Boycott
- New Books Force Consideration of Reconstruction's End from Black Perspective
- Excerpt: How Apartheid South Africa Tried to Create a Libertarian Utopia
- Historian's Book on 1970s NBA Shows Racial Politics around Basketball Have Always Been Ugly
- Kendi: "Anti-woke" Part of Backlash Against Antiracist Protest Movements
- Monica Muñoz Martinez Honored for Truth-Telling in Texas History