SOURCE: New York Times
by Mary L. Dudziak
Concern that Orval Faubus's defiant stand for school segregation in Arkansas would sully America's reputation abroad pushed Dwight Eisenower to deploy the National Guard in the interest of both racial justice and American leadership. Calls to deploy the military today must consider this context.
by Jack M. Holl
Dwight Eisenhower played a pivotal role in protecting the troops under his command and the civilians living around Camp Colt in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania from the 1918 influenza pandemic.
To the end of his life, David A. Nichols says, “Eisenhower never admitted that the White House was behind this.” Yet he couldn’t help but gloat a bit in private. On at least one occasion, he reportedly repeated a joke that “it’s no longer McCarthyism, it’s McCarthywasm.”
by James Ottavio Castagnera
Eisenhower’s approval of the U-2 incursions was motivated by genuine national security interests, albeit his subornation of perjury was primarily politically motivated. One could contend national security and political interests more or less coincided. In Trump’s case, the two sharply diverged from the get-go.
SOURCE: CBS News
David Eisenhower's grandfather commanded the greatest military operation of history's most terrible war.
by William Lambers
Feeding the hungry is essential to winning the peace. Eisenhower knew this. Trump and the Congress should too.
SOURCE: National Review
by Victor Davis Hanson
Obama admirers have created a complete distortion of “the Eisenhower era.”
Bruce Cole, who has published at least two critical articles of the Frank Gehry design, will head up the commission.
- How Jimi Hendrix’s London Years Changed Music
- Presidential Campaigns are Almost Always about the Future. In 2020, the Candidates Cannot Stop Talking about the Past
- Richard and the Revolutionaries: Why did Lefties Love Wagner?
- Trump Alleges ‘Left-Wing Indoctrination’ in Schools, Says He will Create National Commission to Push More ‘Pro-American’ History
- Black Leaders Launch ‘1776 Unites’ High School Curriculum
- 52 Years Ago, Thelonious Monk Played a High School. Now Everyone Can Hear It.
- From MLK to Whistleblowers, the FBI’s Trouble with Dissidents
- If the Electoral College is a Racist Relic, Why has it Endured? (podcast)
- It’s the 100th Anniversary of the Wall Street Bombing
- Ed Bearss, Past Chief Historian Of National Park Service, Dies At 97