SOURCE: San Fransisco Chronicle
by Jonathan Zimmerman
In 1990, Stanford president Donald Kennedy boldly admitted that his university had neglected teaching in favor of research. Universities have not heeded that warning.
SOURCE: The Mercury News
The neurobiologist was appointed in 1980, served 12 years at helm.
SOURCE: The Los Angeles Times
Stanford University curriculum that is picking up steam nationally as educators grapple with widespread evidence of historical illiteracy among U.S. students.
Elon Musk, a serial entrepreneur who was a co-founder of PayPal and the electric car company Tesla Motors, sent people in California into a tizzy on Monday when he released a white paper outlining a hypothetical high-speed transportation system called the Hyperloop.There were a number of curious questions about the Hyperloop, which Mr. Musk’s white paper claims will be able to travel at up to 800 miles an hour and transport people from San Francisco to Los Angeles in 30 minutes. While physicists agree that technically, on paper, this is possible, economists seem to agree that technically, on paper, the price tag of $6 billion is impossible.
SOURCE: Contra Costa Times
BERKELEY -- Clayborne Carson was 19 when he ignored warnings about the dangers and propensity for violence before hitching a ride with the Indianapolis NAACP to attend the March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom 50 years ago this month.The threats didn't deter him from becoming a part of the largest political rally for civil rights in U.S. history and witnessing Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.'s famous "I have a Dream" speech on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial."I decided that I was going to go, and I wasn't going to tell my parents," Carson said. "They found out later."Two decades later, Carson would receive an unexpected phone call from Coretta Scott King asking him to serve as the editor of the King's Papers project....
- Archivists Are Mining Parler Metadata to Pinpoint Crimes at the Capitol
- ‘World’s Greatest Athlete’ Jim Thorpe Was Wronged by Bigotry. The IOC Must Correct the Record
- Black Southerners are Wielding Political Power that was Denied their Parents and Grandparents
- Israeli Rights Group: Nation Isn't a Democracy but an "Apartheid Regime"
- Capitol Riot: The 48 Hours that Echoed Generations of Southern Conflict
- Resolution of the Conference on Faith and History: Executive Board Response to the Assault on the U.S. Capitol
- By the People, for the People, but Not Necessarily Open to the People
- Wealthy Bankers And Businessmen Plotted To Overthrow FDR. A Retired General Foiled It
- Ole Miss Doubles Down on Professor's Termination
- How Fear Took Over the American Suburbs