Originally published 12/15/2016
One of Brady's little-known contributions was to arm scores of men with traveling dark rooms to capture the battlefield scenes of the Civil War.
Originally published 08/20/2013
It's surprising how little is known about the father of photography.
- Scholar of African history says his Jewish background didn’t stop him from writing about Muslims and Africa
- Jon Meacham points out why Lee should go but Washington should stay
- "I've studied the history of Confederate memorials. Here's what to do about them."
- Annette Gordon-Reed writes about why Jefferson matters more than ever after Charlottesville
- Harvard’s Maya Jasanoff vists the Congo and discovers people there probably live harder lives than they did 100 years ago when Joseph Conrad was there