Originally published 08/13/2013
A MEDIEVAL castle in the Highlands has revealed signs of its bloody past after a musket ball and cannonball were found by archaeologists.The artifacts are the latest discoveries by the team tasked with excavating Mingary Castle in west Ardnamurchan, Lochaber, for the first time.The castle is thought to be the best preserved 13th-century castle in Scotland.The musket ball is just under an inch in diameter and has been described as being “extremely heavy” due to having a high lead....
- Before the Bus, Rosa Parks Was a Sexual Assault Investigator
- Egypt discovers 3,500-year-old tombs in ancient city of Luxor
- Abolition Day Kicks Off Year-Long Campaign to Commemorate Frederick Douglass in North Carolina
- Memoirs of an Emperor: Hirohito’s Account of World War II Sells for $275,000
- What Happened to the American Boomtown?
- Black South African scholars urged to correct white historians’ distortion
- At Columbia, Three Women, 30 Years and a Pattern of Harassment
- Pakistani Historian Mobarak Haidar says Muslims “have no religious basis to rule Jerusalem”
- AHA Announces Last-Minute Sessions Timed to News Events
- In Australia, historians and artists have turned to cartography to record the widespread killing of Indigenous people