SOURCE: The Metropole
Policing The Automobile: “Private” Transit In “Public” Spaces?
by Sarah A. Seo
"As much as courts throughout the twentieth century sought to differentiate cars from houses, the automobile straddled the public/private divide in American life." argues professor Sarah A. Seo.
SOURCE: NY Times
September 27, 2019
She's Rising from the Depths of Soviet Music History
by Gabrielle Cornish
Interest is building in Galina Ustvolskaya, the reclusive Russian composer born 100 years ago whose nickname was “the lady with the hammer.”
SOURCE: New York Times
September 30, 2019
The Forgotten History of America’s Worst Racial Massacre
by Nan Elizabeth Woodruff
Hundreds of black citizens were killed in Elaine, Arkansas, a century ago this week.
SOURCE: The Scotsman (UK)
Titan crane receives international heritage honour
THE Titan crane in Clydebank, the world’s first giant electrically-powered cantilever crane, will today receive the same international heritage honour as held by the Eiffel Tower in Paris.The 106-year-old former shipyard crane on the River Clyde will be designated as an international historic civil engineering landmark by four leading civil and mechanical engineering institutions.The crane, which became a visitor attraction in 2007, helped to fit out some of the world’s biggest battleships and liners, such as the Queen Mary, QE2 at the John Brown’s shipyard....
- Chair of Florida Charter School Board on Firing of Principal: About Policy, Not David Statue
- Graduate Student Strikes Fight Back Against Decades of Austerity, Seek to Revive Opportunity
- When Right Wingers Struggle with Defining "Woke" it Shows they Oppose Pursuing Equality
- Strangelove on the Square: Secret USAF Films Showed Airmen What to Expect if Nuclear War Broke Out
- The Women of the Montgomery Bus Boycott
- New Books Force Consideration of Reconstruction's End from Black Perspective
- Excerpt: How Apartheid South Africa Tried to Create a Libertarian Utopia
- Historian's Book on 1970s NBA Shows Racial Politics around Basketball Have Always Been Ugly
- Kendi: "Anti-woke" Part of Backlash Against Antiracist Protest Movements
- Monica Muñoz Martinez Honored for Truth-Telling in Texas History