Some argued that the site should be left to decay into ruins, but officials have decided to maintain it as a testament to the city’s dark history.
by Deirdre Ryan
We have the technology in hand to preserve what is most precious to our past. Our challenge is to make this a priority.
SOURCE: New York Times
Tamara Lanier is suing Harvard University for ownership of daguerreotypes of slaves who she says are her ancestors.
"Truly, the clock is ticking. We need to meet eyewitnesses as soon as possible, before they are no longer with us."
SOURCE: Daily Beast
by Anthony Clark
The leader of the “most transparent administration in history” has been anything but transparent when it comes to plans for his presidential center.
"There has never been historic preservation off our planet. It's a really difficult subject."
SOURCE: NY Times Magazine
President Obama unveiled the plans for the Obama Presidential Center in May 2017. He said he wanted a place that “looked forward, not backward, and would provide a place to train future leaders.”
The U.S. Army has conceded a significant loss of records documenting battlefield action and other operations in Iraq and Afghanistan and has launched a global search to recover and consolidate field records from the wars.In an order to all commands and a separate letter to leaders of the House Committee on Veterans’ Affairs, Secretary of the Army John McHugh said the service also is taking immediate steps to clarify responsibility for wartime recordkeeping....
- New Evidence on the US Response to Decolonization in Indonesia, Southeast Asia
- The Transcontinental Railroad, African Americans and the California Dream
- The 50th Anniversary of Warren Burger's Appointment as Chief Supreme Court Justice
- House Democrats, With Pelosi’s Support, Will Consider a Commission on Reparations
- The House Hearing on Slavery Reparations Is Part of a Long History. Here's What to Know on the Idea's Tireless Early Advocates
- Mary Fulbrook Wins Wolfson History Prize 2019 for Revelatory Holocaust Study Reckonings
- Trump and the Changing Power of the Presidency with William Howell
- Historian and Civil Rights Activist Paul Gaston Dies at 91
- How Accurate is HBO's Chernobyl? Experts Weigh In
- Anthony Price, British author of thrillers with deep links to history, dies at 90