Originally published 07/28/2013
University of Kansas archaeologists may have found evidence that humans were in the Central Plains more than 2,000 years earlier than thought.Now they are digging to prove it.What they are looking for are clues that would tie the remains of a 15,500-year-old mammoth discovered two years ago in west central Kansas to some prehistoric human artifacts found about 50 yards away from it.The mammoth bones and a pile of flakes accumulated from toolmaking activities were unearthed by heavy equipment terracing a field northeast of Scott City....Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2013/07/26/4370071/ku-researchers-look-for-evidence.html#storylink=cpy.;Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2013/07/26/4370071/ku-researchers-look-for-evidence.html#storylink=cpy
Originally published 07/10/2013
YOKOHAMA – An almost perfectly preserved frozen mammoth, excavated from the permafrost in eastern Siberia, was unveiled to the media Tuesday in Yokohama, where it will be on display from Saturday.The 3-meter-tall mammoth is a 10-year-old female and is presumed to have died about 39,000 years ago. The frozen carcass, named “Yuka” after Russia’s Sakha (Yakutia) Republic where it was discovered, is believed to be one of the world’s largest.Excavated in 2010, Yuka has a long trunk, arms and legs preserved in almost perfect condition. Since then, the carcass was conserved and studied by researchers at an institute in Russia....
- The Most Controversial Psych Study Is Repeated — Same Weird Result
- A new book explores the stunning revelation that Hemingway spied for the USSR
- A President’s Restless Corpse May Be on the Move Again in Tennessee
- How China and the U.S. might collide — or not
- Major Viking Age Archaeological Find Discovered in Denmark
- The New York Times celebrates biographer Richard Holmes
- Historians are in demand! (On cruise ships)
- Douglas Brinkley says there’s a "smell of treason in the air"
- Mary Maples Dunn, Advocate of Women’s Colleges and President of Smith, Dies at 85
- Gil Troy says Jews and Israelis are the victims of a “Hate Swarm”