Originally published 07/08/2013
The good folks at Mental Floss have compiled the last words of the 38 dead presidents.How well do you know your dying presidents? (Answers at bottom.)1. "Water."2. "Thomas Jefferson survives."3. "Send Mike immediately."4. "I have a terrific headache."5. "I understand the true principles of the government. I wish them carried out. I ask nothing more."6. "Are the doctors here? Doctor, my lungs..." 7. "She won't think anything about it."8. "'Tis well."9. "No, you certainly can't."10. "The nourishment is palatable."Of course, presidential last words tend to lack the spunk of Tom Paine's, who spent his final moments berating two clergyman trying to convert him on his deathbed: "Let me have none of your popish stuff. Get away with you. Good morning."1: Ulysses S. Grant; 2: John Adams; 3: LBJ; 4: FDR; 5: William Henry Harrison; 6: Benjamin Harrison; 7: Abraham Lincoln; 8: George Washington; 9: JFK; 10: Millard Fillmore.
- There are certain moments in US history when Confederate monuments go up
- Charlottesville Violence Spurs New Resistance to Confederate Symbols
- Historians Question Trump’s Comments on Confederate Monuments
- Baltimore Removes Confederate Statues in Overnight Operation
- How the Nazi Flags in Charlottesville Look to a German
- Philip Zelikow says the government should crack down on armed groups of militants
- Conservatives complain that a "Pro-gay U.S. embassy features ‘art’ by anti-Trump professor”
- N. D. B. Connolly says Charlottesville showed that liberalism can’t defeat white supremacy
- Historian William I. Hitchcock schools policymakers: Ike never threatened to use nukes in North Korea
- Ibram X. Kendi asks and answers this question: What would Jefferson say about white supremacists descending upon his university?