Originally published 07/22/2013
In the immediate aftermath of the Civil War, white Southerners lashed out with homicidal rage against their former bondsmen.
Originally published 07/15/2013
Some people undoubtedly choose to wave Confederate flags just to get attention. But what binds people today to yesterday's Confederates is not so much an abhorrence of centralized state power as it is a fear of change.
Originally published 06/25/2013
File photo/HNN staff.
- South Dakota drops history as a high school requirement
- The Forgotten History Of 'Violent Displacement' That Helped Create The National Parks
- Gospel of Jesus’ Wife May Be Authentic, New Tests Suggest
- Architect Sought for Obama’s Presidential Library Complex
- 2016 election's leading candidates have strong Jewish family ties
- Historians tackle America’s mass incarceration problem
- Report: Russian studies in crisis
- Medievalist calls on historians to welcome pop culture
- NYT History Book Reviews: Who Got Noticed this Week?