Originally published 06/24/2013
Verlyn Klinkenborg has taught writing at Fordham, St. Olaf, Bennington, and Harvard, among other universities....In 1991, 165 students graduated from Yale with a B.A. in English literature. By 2012, that number was 62. In 1991, the top two majors at Yale were history and English. In 2013, they were economics and political science. At Pomona this year, they were economics and mathematics.Parents have always worried when their children become English majors. What is an English major good for? In a way, the best answer has always been, wait and see — an answer that satisfies no one. And yet it is a real answer, one that reflects the versatility of thought and language that comes from studying literature. Former English majors turn up almost anywhere, in almost any career, and they nearly always bring with them a rich sense of the possibilities of language, literary and otherwise....STUDYING the humanities should be like standing among colleagues and students on the open deck of a ship moving along the endless coastline of human experience. Instead, now it feels as though people have retreated to tiny cabins in the bowels of the ship, from which they peep out on a small fragment of what may be a coastline or a fog bank or the back of a spouting whale.
- David Oyelowo Says Steven Spielberg Wants Him to Reprise Martin Luther King Jr. Role in Upcoming Biopic
- Archaeologists Discover 2,400 Year Old Golden Bongs
- Canada’s Truth and Reconciliation Commission calls treatment of Indian children a case of cultural genocide
- How does black hair reflect black history?
- Two World War I Soldiers to Posthumously Receive Medal of Honor
- Daniel Pipes says he’s give up using the word “terrorist"
- Mark Stoll says historians have overlooked the important religious roots of the environmental movement (interview)
- Historian Says the World Needs a New Origins Story Based on Science
- Egyptian Historian: Drop the Palestinians, Normalize With Israel
- NYT History Book Reviews: Who Got Noticed this Week?