Originally published 06/13/2013
Seventy-five years ago in Fascist Italy, a group of gay men were labelled "degenerate", expelled from their homes and interned on an island. They were held under a prison regime - but some found life in the country's first openly gay community a liberating experience.Every summer, tourists are drawn to the beauty of a tiny string of rocky islands in the Adriatic.But just recently a group of visitors came to the Tremiti archipelago not so much to enjoy the peace and calm of this remote place as to remember.These were gay, lesbian and transgender rights activists....
- African American museum’s fundraising touches deep history among donors
- Black Death maps reveal how the plague devastated medieval Britain
- Bernie Sanders picks Cornel West to help write Democratic platform
- Trump is empowering anti-Semites, Holocaust deniers, and White nationalists
- The First Time a Plane Was Bombed