Robert the Bruce
Originally published 06/13/2013
An amateur archaeologist from Bonnybridge is hoping his remarkable discoveries can shed more light on one of the most famous episodes in Scottish history.James Bayne (64) used a metal detector he was given as a birthday present three years ago to unearth a number of number of intriguing artefacts from the site of the Battle of Bannockburn, the great conflict in 1314 in which the Scots army under the command of Robert the Bruce vanquished the much larger force of King Edward II of England.The retired maintenance engineer has unearthed a variety of items including a bronze pendant and the remains of a brutal medieval dagger known as a ‘bodkin’....
Originally published 06/02/2013
Sent in 1310 to King Edward II, the letter suggests Robert the Bruce was willing to offer any terms to prevent an advancing English army marching into the heart of Scotland.However, he made clear that the English would have to recognise Scottish independence and asserted his God-given authority as king of Scots, addressing Edward II as one monarch to another.The bold move appeared to pay off as Edward II took his army south again to Berwick where he remained until July 1311.When he finally returned north three years later, he was “sent homeward tae think again” after being humiliated at Bannockburn, the 700th anniversary of which is being celebrated next year shortly before the Scottish independence referendum....
- New museum in Poland -- the grandest space created since 1989 -- tells the story of the Jews
- Lewinsky mistreated by authorities in investigation of Clinton, report says
- Scientists Say Proof Of Jack The Ripper's Identity Is Fatally Flawed
- Memorial for black Revolutionary War soldiers finds spot on Mall after 30 years
- Sherlock Holmes star to feature in a new movie about Alan Turning
- How Laurel Thatcher Ulrich caught up with the past
- Postal Workers Take on Harvard President, historian Drew Faust
- Symposium held in honor of John D’Emilio
- Thousands of Historic Archives from British Asylums to Go Online
- American Studies Association boycott of Israel: Conservatives say it’s weakening