Originally published 10/22/2013
MIT's Craig Wilder on the role slavery played in the founding and rise of the Ivy League.
Originally published 06/21/2013
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island — Brown University has chosen a University of British Columbia history professor to be the new director and librarian of the John Carter Brown Library.Neil Safier will assume his new job at Brown in October. He succeeds Edward Widmer, who last year was named an assistant to the president for special projects....
Originally published 05/31/2013
Whenever people inquired about his profession, former College President James Wright would tell them he was just a teacher, or a historian. Wright will retire this year after over four decades at the College, both as an administrator and beloved history professor. Wright served as president from 1998 to 2009.When he arrived on campus in the fall of 1969, Dartmouth was an all-male institution with little diversity. Though Dartmouth’s demographics have changed, it still values and encourages strong student-faculty relationships and a commitment to undergraduate teaching, he said.During his time as president, Wright said he was glad he could provide more support for faculty and expand financial aid for students. He grew the size and compensation of Dartmouth’s faculty, developed the College’s capital campaign, the Campaign for the Dartmouth Experience, and oversaw expansive construction efforts on campus. The Fahey and McLane and McLaughlin residence halls were built and the Alumni Gymnasium was renovated....
- Coming Soon, a Century Late: A Black Film Gem
- The discovery that complicated the history of sex change operations
- NYT identifies the person who exposed Gary Hart's philandering
- Decades After Trinity Nuclear Test in New Mexico, U.S. Studies Cancer Fallout
- Lawrence Of Arabia's Hand-Drawn, WWI Map Is Up for Auction
- Ken Burns and the Myth of Theodore Roosevelt
- What Ken Burns Doesn't Understand about the Roosevelts
- A call for historians to do macro history
- Colorado school board, worried about the new AP framework, wants to make sure high school kids are taught patriotic history
- Professor premieres animated short on Pueblo revolt on PBS