SOURCE: The Washington Post
by Michelle Kelley
“History provides lessons on how to pit popular culture against Internet hate speech and racist propaganda.”
SOURCE: Tom Dispatch
by Juan Cole
The New Islamophobia Looks Like the Old McCarthyism.
SOURCE: Huffington Post
by Melissa Levinson
"My research on world history textbooks used across the country finds that sections about Islam and the Middle East advance a “rise and fall” narrative."
SOURCE: Think Progress
by Jack Jenkins
There is one particularly unusual historical example that helps make sense of today’s barrage of Islamophobia: when American writers, politicians, and even scientists argued that Mormons — yes, Mormons — weren’t white.
SOURCE: The Washington Free Beacon
While advocating against what they said is a growing trend in anti-Muslim rhetoric, the professor and students wore Jewish stars inscribed with the word, “Muslim.”
by Karine Walther
And it's undermining our understanding at every turn.
SOURCE: The Atlantic
by Tanya Basu
A brief history of a provocative word
SOURCE: Al Jazeera
Humayun Ansari is a Professor of History of Islam and Culture in the Department of History at Royal Holloway, University of London. On the 8th anniversary of the 7/7 London bombings, and in the aftermath of the killing of British army soldier Lee Rigby, it is timely to assess how Islamophobia within Britain’s political landscape has evolved since that tragic day in July 2005. Much evidence suggests that Islamophobia has moved beyond small fringe far-right groups to being far more widespread across broad sections of the population.
- Poland’s forgotten civil strife and the struggle for Jewish statehood
- Socialists were winning U.S. elections long before Bernie Sanders and AOC
- The House just passed a bill to create a women’s history museum. Only one congresswoman voted against it.
- For hundreds of years, enslaved people were bought and sold in America. Today most of the sites of this trade are forgotten.
- 2 New Books Examine the the History of Black Travel
- AHA Publishes 2020 Jobs Report
- Yuval Noah Harari's History of Everyone, Ever
- Historian Manisha Sinha Discussed Trump's Acquittal on 2 Episodes of Democracy Now
- Longtime University of Iowa Jeff Cox, 72, championed candidates and his kids
- "No Boy Scout": William Rust Publishes Article on CIA Operations Officer Lucien Conein