Originally published 12/17/2014
One of the most horrific episodes of the Vietnam War is being made into a government-funded opera.
Originally published 11/21/2014
It is not good when Joe Stalin is angry at you.
Originally published 10/21/2014
A famed opera that depicts the real-life murder of an American Jew by Palestinians has enraged hundreds Manhattan’s West Side.
Originally published 09/25/2013
An opera review.
Originally published 05/09/2013
A controversial Nazi-themed production of Richard Wagner's Tannhäuser has been cancelled after it caused some audience members to seek medical help and prompted others to walk out in anger.The Rheinoper in Düsseldorf said it was in a state of shock after being deluged with complaints by members of the public who called the opera tasteless and unnecessarily provocative.The production, which opened last Saturday and was expected to be one of the highlights of the celebrations for the bicentenary of Wagner's birth later this month, has a Nazi storyline, and includes scenes of people dying in gas chambers, being shot and raped, and of members of a family having their heads shaved before their execution....
Originally published 07/03/2014
Liberty and Power
The 16th Amendment wrought unparalleled constitutional havoc.
- 50 Years Later, It Feels Familiar: How America Fractured in 1968
- Hawaii False Alarm Hints at Thin Line Between Mishap and Nuclear War
- Ohio Teacher Put on Leave After Lynching Remark to Black Student
- One year in, Donald Trump has redefined the presidency
- In Trump’s Immigration Remarks, Echoes of a Century-Old Racial Ranking
- Ibram X. Kendi says "The Heartbeat of Racism Is Denial”
- Historians Call Trump’s ‘Sh*thole’ Comment "The Most Openly Racist by a President in Decades"
- Bruce Cole, renaissance scholar who led National Endowment for the Humanities, dies at 79
- New book lays out for the first time the full story of Cuba's Cuban Missile Crisis
- Doug Brinkley says "Trump is the most racist president since Woodrow Wilson"