Originally published 12/17/2014
One of the most horrific episodes of the Vietnam War is being made into a government-funded opera.
Originally published 11/21/2014
It is not good when Joe Stalin is angry at you.
Originally published 10/21/2014
A famed opera that depicts the real-life murder of an American Jew by Palestinians has enraged hundreds Manhattan’s West Side.
Originally published 09/25/2013
An opera review.
Originally published 05/09/2013
A controversial Nazi-themed production of Richard Wagner's Tannhäuser has been cancelled after it caused some audience members to seek medical help and prompted others to walk out in anger.The Rheinoper in Düsseldorf said it was in a state of shock after being deluged with complaints by members of the public who called the opera tasteless and unnecessarily provocative.The production, which opened last Saturday and was expected to be one of the highlights of the celebrations for the bicentenary of Wagner's birth later this month, has a Nazi storyline, and includes scenes of people dying in gas chambers, being shot and raped, and of members of a family having their heads shaved before their execution....
Originally published 07/03/2014
Liberty and Power
The 16th Amendment wrought unparalleled constitutional havoc.
- In Trump’s America, is the Supreme Court still seen as legitimate?
- The Republican Plan to Repeal Obamacare for Everybody But Alaska Might Be Unconstitutional
- Parliament Square in London Is Closer to Having First Female Statue
- Battle Over Confederate Monuments Moves to the Cemeteries
- German WW1 U-boat found off Belgian coast
- Yale history department now emphasizing global history in undergraduate courses
- University of Utah appoints first Mormon Studies professor
- Eric Foner discusses the manipulation of history
- Decline in History Majors Continues, Departments Respond