Originally published 05/01/2013
America’s Founding Fathers were actually Essex boys, with Plymouth accused of "hijacking" the Mayflower, the ship that carried them to North America nearly 400 years ago, according to claims.A rival claim to the Mayflower by the port town of Harwich states that the ship's crew were from Essex and only set foot briefly in the West Country before starting their transatlantic voyage.The claim has taken on extra significance as the 400th anniversary of the Mayflower's voyage in 2020 nears - Plymouth has already sent an invitation to whoever is the President of the United States in seven years' time.Although Plymouth has become closely associated with the Mayflower, Harwich claims it was no more than luck that the ship stopped at that port at all....
- Swastikas, Hate and Confusion
- Obama chooses Chicago to host his presidential library
- Arizona State class on “The Problem of Whiteness” sparks neo-Nazi campaign
- How Curfews Have Changed Through History
- Supreme Court justices called to task for saying institution of marriage hasn't changed in millennia