by James L. Gelvin
This explains what sparked the Saudi-Qatari Cold War.
Few countries have ever grown from client state to regional power. Qatar managed it in just a few years.
SOURCE: Telegraph (UK)
Nudity is an all or nothing kind of thing, as Qatari authorities recently discovered. Seek to drape the naughty bits of a pair of ancient sculptures of nude male athletes, and you end up with no nudes at all.This is precisely what happened at Alriwaq Doha exhibition space. Having loaned the gallery the two sculptures for its Olympics Past and Present exhibition, Athens preferred to see them returned than exhibited with their modesty veiled.The Qatari anxiety about displaying the naked body has a different root — but is no more or less valid — than that which saw thousands of statues suffer the chop across the history of the Western world....
- Sunday Reading: Hiroshima
- More Than a Century Before the 19th Amendment, Women were Voting in New Jersey
- John Lewis’ Legacy: Four Southern States are Still Battling for Voter Rights
- Gillibrand Urges Removal Of Confederate Symbols At West Point
- Portraits that Honor the Men Who Participated in the 1968 Memphis Sanitation Workers Strike