Originally published 05/29/2017
Instead of seeking to overcome their association with slavery, antebellum African American activists built their activism around it. We can learn from this history.
Originally published 01/23/2017
José Angel Hernández
This undoubtedly will lead to a humanitarian crisis.
Originally published 05/01/2014
The great lengths immigrants went to, to fit in.
Originally published 04/04/2014
Pennsylvania’s 175-year heritage of immigrant toil and anthracite wealth is lost as Huber Breaker Historic Site is Demolished for Scrap
Bankruptcy Court finds the Huber Breaker’s 900 tons of steel, valued at $85,000, was a much higher worth than preserving the keystone historic site.
Originally published 10/22/2013
Sakharov prize for freedom of thought honours Burmese figure’s battle for democracy.
Originally published 04/17/2013
¡Ya Es Hora! March & Rally for Immigration Reform. Via Flickr.The big immigration debate is finally happening. The grand bargain will likely include a path to citizenship for “illegal” immigrants and tightened border security. What will remain unchanged in whatever deal is struck between Democrats and Republicans is the idea that citizenship is the prerequisite for rights. Citizenship, as political scientist Hannah Arendt wrote in 1951 in The Origins of Totalitarianism, is the “right to have rights.”
Originally published 11/15/2015
Mark Byrnes's Facing Backwards
From the earliest days of the republic, the American attitude toward refugees has been marked by an ambivalence and tension.
- In America, there was a time when even 'Thanksgiving' was a fightin' word
- Was Walt Whitman 'gay'?
- Victims of Canada’s ‘Gay Purge’ to Get Apology from Trudeau
- Should Trump Be Impeached? What Founding Father James Madison Gave as Grounds for Impeachment.
- Long Lost Nordic Village Mysteriously Abandoned in the Middle Ages Rediscovered
- Is This Professor ‘Putin’s American Apologist’?
- Vietnam veterans challenge Ken Burns on the accuracy of his epic documentary
- OAH historians say events of the past year show they were right to emphasize freedom as the theme of the 2019 annual convention
- Why being a historian is about so much more than producing displays for museums
- Historian Says Textbooks Have Shaped Our Attitudes On Race