Democracy of Sound
Originally published 04/16/2013
Jim Cullen: Review of Alex Sayf Cummings's "Democracy of Sound: Music Piracy and the Remaking of American Copyright in the Twentieth Century" (Oxford, 2013)
Jim Cullen, who teaches at the Ethical Culture Fieldston School in New York, is a book review editor at HNN. His latest book, Sensing the Past: Hollywood Stars and Historical Visions, was recently published by Oxford University Press. Cullen blogs at American History Now.
- Defense Secretary James Mattis tells high school student to study history
- Dunkirk survivors’ terror didn’t end when they were rescued
- Site of Germany’s Biggest World War II Battle in the News
- Champion of the Black Community Is Given Her Rightful Due in Richmond
- CIA Plans to Destroy Some of Its Old Leak Files
- Rick Perlstein joins criticism of Nancy MacLean's "Democracy in Chains"
- Daniel Pipes says it’s time for the Palestinians to recognize they lost
- Wm. Theodore de Bary, Renowned Columbia Sinologist, Dies at 97
- Iran sentences Princeton history grad student to 10 years for spying
- Medievalists, Recoiling From White Supremacy, Try to Diversify the Field