Originally published 04/16/2013
WASHINGTON — A nonpartisan, independent review of interrogation and detention programs in the years after the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks concludes that “it is indisputable that the United States engaged in the practice of torture” and that the nation’s highest officials bore ultimate responsibility for it.
- Does character matter in a president?
- NYT memorializes Thomas Fleming, historian of the Revolution
- Historian Plumbs Tax Records for Patterns of Racial Discrimination
- Alt-right commentator gets 'schooled' by historian over diversity in Roman Britain
- 2 Sinologists say Liu Xiaobo’s Death speaks to a dark vision for China