Originally published 06/06/2013
A critically acclaimed book by a University of Reading professor about life under Italian dictator Benito Mussolini has scooped another prestigious award.Fascist Voices: An Intimate History of Mussolini’s Italy by Christopher Duggan has won the Wolfson History Prize which recognises the best historical writing produced in the UK.Professor Duggan, a leading authority on the political, social and cultural history of modern Italy, was presented with the award at a ceremony at Claridge’s in London on May 14.The latest award follows Prof Duggan’s success in March when the book was named Political History Book of the Year at The Paddy Power and Total Politics Political Book Awards 2013....
Originally published 03/25/2013
Workers in Rome have stumbled across a top-secret bunker once belonging to former Fascist leader Benito Mussolini, hidden underneath the historic Palazzo Venezia.The discovery is the 12th such bunker as is said to have been the “most secret” of the former strongman’s hideouts, according to the Italian publication La Stampa.And in what has become a tradition of sorts, the bunker will soon go on display for the public to tour and document, as has been done with other recently discovered Mussolini bunkers. City officials plan to install lighting, a touchscreen system and an air siren, meant to simulate the sounds of an impending air raid....
- Joan Baez, Sly Stone, Steve Martin, Ben E. King -- all honored by the Library of Congress
- StoryCorps to Launch Global Expansion With $1M TED Prize
- Hofstra Event Looks at Bush Presidency
- Did Israel steal uranium from a town in Pennsylvania in the 1960s?
- Sequel to Nelson Mandela's Long Walk to Freedom to be published next year
- OAH denounces anti-gay legislation signed by Indiana governor
- Emory’s Leslie Harris says we should remember the racist roots of American colleges as we think about what went wrong at OU and other schools
- Stanford historian looks to the U.S. Postal Service to map the boom and bust of 19th-century American West
- U.S. historian denounces Japanese scholars' statement over wartime sexual slavery
- Timothy V Johnson Named Head of Tamiment Library