Originally published 06/06/2013
A critically acclaimed book by a University of Reading professor about life under Italian dictator Benito Mussolini has scooped another prestigious award.Fascist Voices: An Intimate History of Mussolini’s Italy by Christopher Duggan has won the Wolfson History Prize which recognises the best historical writing produced in the UK.Professor Duggan, a leading authority on the political, social and cultural history of modern Italy, was presented with the award at a ceremony at Claridge’s in London on May 14.The latest award follows Prof Duggan’s success in March when the book was named Political History Book of the Year at The Paddy Power and Total Politics Political Book Awards 2013....
Originally published 03/25/2013
Workers in Rome have stumbled across a top-secret bunker once belonging to former Fascist leader Benito Mussolini, hidden underneath the historic Palazzo Venezia.The discovery is the 12th such bunker as is said to have been the “most secret” of the former strongman’s hideouts, according to the Italian publication La Stampa.And in what has become a tradition of sorts, the bunker will soon go on display for the public to tour and document, as has been done with other recently discovered Mussolini bunkers. City officials plan to install lighting, a touchscreen system and an air siren, meant to simulate the sounds of an impending air raid....
- Craig Shirley says Ted Cruz is right and the Huffington Post wrong about Ronald Reagan’s 1980 Presidential Campaign
- Mystery at Notre Dame: A priest-historian has been forced to back off a project promoting authentic Catholic education
- William & Mary launching a gay history project
- "I teach the largest gay and lesbian history class in the country."
- Another year of declines in history enrollments