Originally published 06/06/2013
A critically acclaimed book by a University of Reading professor about life under Italian dictator Benito Mussolini has scooped another prestigious award.Fascist Voices: An Intimate History of Mussolini’s Italy by Christopher Duggan has won the Wolfson History Prize which recognises the best historical writing produced in the UK.Professor Duggan, a leading authority on the political, social and cultural history of modern Italy, was presented with the award at a ceremony at Claridge’s in London on May 14.The latest award follows Prof Duggan’s success in March when the book was named Political History Book of the Year at The Paddy Power and Total Politics Political Book Awards 2013....
Originally published 03/25/2013
Workers in Rome have stumbled across a top-secret bunker once belonging to former Fascist leader Benito Mussolini, hidden underneath the historic Palazzo Venezia.The discovery is the 12th such bunker as is said to have been the “most secret” of the former strongman’s hideouts, according to the Italian publication La Stampa.And in what has become a tradition of sorts, the bunker will soon go on display for the public to tour and document, as has been done with other recently discovered Mussolini bunkers. City officials plan to install lighting, a touchscreen system and an air siren, meant to simulate the sounds of an impending air raid....
- Snopes debunks slavery Internet meme
- Revamped Chinese History Journal Welcomes Hard-Line Writers
- Poll: 3 Out of 5 Texan Trump Supporters Want Secession if Hillary Clinton Is Elected
- The Psychiatric Question: Is It Fair to Analyze Donald Trump From Afar?
- Minorities still feel Eugene, Oregon’s historical link to the Ku Klux Klan
- Ernst Nolte, Historian Whose Views on Hitler Caused an Uproar, Dies at 93
- Japan should give formal apology for wartime aggression, says historian
- Kevin Baker says America needs to bring back political machines
- Covell Meyskens uses his blog to show what life was like under Mao. (Interview)