Originally published 03/21/2013
Richard J. Evans: Review of Eric Hobsbawm's "Fractured Times: Culture and Society in the 20th Century"
Richard J Evans's The Third Reich at War is published by PenguinEric Hobsbawm was the best-known and most celebrated historian of the 20th century, not just in Britain but all over the world. His major works, four substantial volumes covering the history of Europe in its global context from the French revolution in 1789 to the fall of communism two centuries later, have remained in print ever since their first publication. More than half a century after it appeared, The Age of Revolution is still a staple of university reading lists. The Age of Extremes has been translated into more than 50 languages, and no doubt the foreign publication record of his other books is just as impressive.
- Michael Beschloss says if Trump pardons himself this is worse than Watergate
- Defense Secretary James Mattis tells high school student to study history
- Dunkirk survivors’ terror didn’t end when they were rescued
- Site of Germany’s Biggest World War II Battle in the News
- Champion of the Black Community Is Given Her Rightful Due in Richmond
- Rick Perlstein joins criticism of Nancy MacLean's "Democracy in Chains"
- Daniel Pipes says it’s time for the Palestinians to recognize they lost
- Wm. Theodore de Bary, Renowned Columbia Sinologist, Dies at 97
- Iran sentences Princeton history grad student to 10 years for spying
- Medievalists, Recoiling From White Supremacy, Try to Diversify the Field