Originally published 03/11/2013
UCLA associate professor Tobias Higbie has been named the Lloyd Lewis Fellow in American History at the Newberry Library in Chicago for 2013-14.Professor Higbie received his PhD from the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign in 2000, and is the author of Indispensable Outcasts: Hobo Workers and Community in the American Midwest, 1880-1930. He co-curated the joint Newberry Library/Chicago Historical Society exhibit "Outspoken: Chicago's Free Speech Tradition" in the fall of 2004.According to the UCLA announcement, Higbie will use the fellowship to conduct research for a book project entitled "Working Knowledge: Learning and Living in a Grassroots Social Movement."The full list of 2013-2014 Newberry Library Fellows will be announced in the early summer.
- New PBS DVD From Henry Louis Gates Jr. Explores African Influence on the Caribbean
- The Council on Foreign Relations Honors Kissinger Critic
- Architectural historian discovers Chartres Cathedral has started faking it
- Rick Perlstein hits back at a critic of his book on Reagan
- So Historians Are Surprised by What DNA Can Tell Us?