John C. Calhoun
Originally published 03/13/2017
Some Minneapolis Park Board members think it’s worth revisiting discussion of the name of Lake Calhoun, also known by the Dakota name Bde Maka Ska, in light of Yale University’s decision to remove John C. Calhoun’s name from a residential college.
Originally published 02/27/2013
John C. Calhoun in 1849. Daguerreotype by Mathew Brady.
- Trump just promised the biggest tax cut in history
- An African Diaspora group at Columbia University draped a KKK hood over Thomas Jefferson
- Documents show how CIA connived with Chilean publisher to overthrow Allende
- Is Trump right that he's signed more executive orders than FDR in his first 100 days?
- 500 Years After Expulsion, Sicily’s Jews Reclaim a Lost History
- Nathaniel Philbrick wins the $50,000 2017 George Washington Prize
- In an interview Jill Lepore explains how she writes and the writers she admires most
- Trump is no Hitler – he’s a Mussolini, says Oxford historian
- Rick Perlstein’s still drawing brickbats for his confession in the NYT that historians (like him) have misinterpreted modern conservatism
- “Historians are shockingly dismissive of people in ‘flyover country,’ ” says Pulitzer-winning historian T. J. Stiles