NC Elections Board Affirms it has Power to Bar Rep. Cawthorn from Ballot over Jan. 6 Actions
Without stating whether such action would proceed, North Carolina's elections authority affirmed that it has the power to bar Rep. Madison Cawthorn from seeking reelection if his actions on January 6 are determined to amount to support for insurrection.
SOURCE: Talking Points Memo
Rep. Cawthorn Lawyer's Defense against 14th Amendment Disqualification? Confederate Amnesty Act
It is perhaps fitting that Cawthorn, who faces a challenge to his eligibility for office based on his endorsement of the march which led to the attack on the Capitol, would invoke an amnesty for Confederates as a defense.
Is the Challenge to Madison Cawthorn's Re-Election Eligibility For Real?
The text and historical application of the 14th Amendment means that the courts could bar the North Carolina MAGA Congressman from seeking reelection because of his endorsement of the January 6 attack on the Capitol which sought to overturn Joe Biden's election.
- Will a "No Labels" Campaign Wreck the 2024 Election? We Can't Ask Group's Secret Donors.
- Excerpts from a Civics Textbook I Assume Would be Welcome in Florida
- Confusion Over Book Bans in Florida is a Feature, Not a Bug, of New Policies
- We're Living in the World (un)Made by the Iraq War
- Florida Professor: I was Fired for Teaching about Racism
- Kendi: "Anti-woke" Part of Backlash Against Antiracist Protest Movements
- Monica Muñoz Martinez Honored for Truth-Telling in Texas History
- Why are Universities so Disrespectful of their Organized Workers?
- Aside from Bush and Cheney, Who's Most Responsible for Iraq?
- Leaked Emails Show Christian Nationalist Anti-Trans "Holy War"