Vince McMahon's Control of Pro Wrestling's History Key to Controlling its Present
by Abraham Josephine Reisman
As politicians seek to control the teaching of history, Vince McMahon's reign at the top of pro wrestling offers a cautionary tale for a nation that can't face its past.
Steve Waksman on the History of Live Music in America
Waksman's new book explains how a live performance depends on the confluence of art and business.
SOURCE: Black Perspectives
How Josephine Baker Challenged Racism in Las Vegas
by Claytee White
Josephine Baker's brief stand in 1952 didn't forever break the color line in the city's casinos and clubs, but it did help Black Las Vegans push for enduring change.
SOURCE: Los Angeles Times
How Dennis Hopper Ran the Wildest Party House in Hollywood
The house of the actor and his wife Brooke Hayward was a gathering place of fertile movements in film, arts and music that made the 1960s.
Mel Brooks Delivers 500 Pages on His Favorite Subject – Himself
"The stuff that hasn’t been public, or at least is tough to find, makes the book worthwhile."
Josephine Baker First American, Black Woman, and Performer Inducted to French Pantheon
"in 1963, Baker addressed the crowd at the March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom. She wore her French Resistance uniform with the string of medals across her breast."
SOURCE: The Atlantic
"Negotiated Authenticity" and the Precarious Position of Black Creators in Television History
"Since its invention, television has shaped this country’s self-image. To the extent that we share notions of “normal,” “acceptable,” “funny,” “wrong,” and even “American,” television has helped define them. For decades, Black writers were shut out of the rooms in which those notions were scripted."
SOURCE: New York Times
Academy Museum Gives Debbie Reynolds Her Due as a Costume Conservator
For reasons likely including institiutionalized sexism, costumes have been a neglected part of the preservation of cinematic history. The new Academy Museum of Motion Pictures hopes to work with the late Debbie Reynolds's son to change that.
- How Tina Turner Escaped Abuse and Reclaimed her Name
- The Biden Administration Wants to Undo the Damage of Urban Highways. It Won't be Simple
- AAUP: Fight Tooth and Nail Against Florida's Higher Ed Agenda Because Your State is Next
- Texas GOP's Ten Commandments School Bill Fails
- Former Alabama Governors: We Regret Overseeing Executions
- Jeff Sharlet on the Intersectional Erotics of Fascism
- Scholars Stage Teach-in on Racism in DeSantis's Back Yard
- Paul Watanabe, Historian and Manzanar Survivor, Makes Sure History Isn't Forgotten
- Massachusetts-Based Historians: Book Bans in Florida Affect Us, Too
- Deborah Lipstadt's Work Abroad as Antisemitism Envoy Complicated by Definitional Dispute