Originally published 08/11/2015
A teenager claimed that there’s proof in online newspaper archives that the Irish faced massive job discrimination. The media proclaimed her a star. Only she was wrong.
Originally published 03/17/2015
Organizers of St. Patrick's Day parade say it's about celebrating "Irish heritage and culture." Here's the problem.
Originally published 07/30/2014
Hogan writes that the British paid slave owners over $30 million in compensation for the loss of their ‘property.’
Originally published 02/19/2013
In the course of my research of Viking Age woodcraft, I somewhat unexpectedly turned up information about a most delightful archaeological find: an entire hoard of children’s toys, found at Market Harborough parish church, England. A charming stash of the everyday playthings of sixteenth or seventeenth century children, the hoard throws a rare spotlight on the material culture of children in the archaeological record....
Originally published 03/18/2010
The best of Web commentary on the day where everybody's a little bit Irish.
- Donald Trump Is Wrong on Mosul Attack, Military Experts Say
- Emmett Till memorial sign is riddled with bullet holes and has been repeatedly vandalized
- Posthumous pardons law may see Oscar Wilde exonerated
- Has an Election Ever Been Rigged in U.S. History?
- A short history of white people rigging elections
- Steven Runciman — historian, tease and professional enigma — is the subject of a biography
- Historian Eric Foner: Trump is Logical Conclusion of What the GOP Has Been Doing for Decades
- Ken Burns developing 'The Gene' based on Mukherjee's bestseller
- Does the 'Father' of the 1948 Ethnic Cleansing Narrative Really Want to Recant His Words?
- Max Boot wants to know “what the hell happened to my Republican Party?"