Originally published 08/11/2015
A teenager claimed that there’s proof in online newspaper archives that the Irish faced massive job discrimination. The media proclaimed her a star. Only she was wrong.
Originally published 03/17/2015
Organizers of St. Patrick's Day parade say it's about celebrating "Irish heritage and culture." Here's the problem.
Originally published 07/30/2014
Hogan writes that the British paid slave owners over $30 million in compensation for the loss of their ‘property.’
Originally published 02/19/2013
In the course of my research of Viking Age woodcraft, I somewhat unexpectedly turned up information about a most delightful archaeological find: an entire hoard of children’s toys, found at Market Harborough parish church, England. A charming stash of the everyday playthings of sixteenth or seventeenth century children, the hoard throws a rare spotlight on the material culture of children in the archaeological record....
Originally published 03/19/2010
The best of Web commentary on the day where everybody's a little bit Irish.
- Ben Carson defends linking gun control to the Holocaust
- Secret CIA Report: Pinochet "Personally Ordered" Washington Car-Bombing
- Mike Huckabee’s 1998 Book Is Full Of Fake Quotes From America’s Founders
- Children should be taught about suffering under the British Empire, Jeremy Corbyn says
- Collateral damage: A brief history of U.S. mistakes at war
- NYT History Book Reviews: Who Got Noticed this Week?
- NC student’s senior thesis selected as top paper sheds light on little-known victory over Jim Crow
- Historian Who Probed Austria’s Nazi Past Begins Sentence for Defrauding State
- Daniel Pipes says we should be worried that immigrants don’t share western values
- Nobel Prize in Literature Awarded to journalist Svetlana Alexievich