Originally published 08/11/2015
A teenager claimed that there’s proof in online newspaper archives that the Irish faced massive job discrimination. The media proclaimed her a star. Only she was wrong.
Originally published 03/17/2015
Organizers of St. Patrick's Day parade say it's about celebrating "Irish heritage and culture." Here's the problem.
Originally published 07/30/2014
Hogan writes that the British paid slave owners over $30 million in compensation for the loss of their ‘property.’
Originally published 02/19/2013
In the course of my research of Viking Age woodcraft, I somewhat unexpectedly turned up information about a most delightful archaeological find: an entire hoard of children’s toys, found at Market Harborough parish church, England. A charming stash of the everyday playthings of sixteenth or seventeenth century children, the hoard throws a rare spotlight on the material culture of children in the archaeological record....
Originally published 03/19/2010
The best of Web commentary on the day where everybody's a little bit Irish.
- Craig Shirley says Ted Cruz is right and the Huffington Post wrong about Ronald Reagan’s 1980 Presidential Campaign
- Mystery at Notre Dame: A priest-historian has been forced to back off a project promoting authentic Catholic education
- William & Mary launching a gay history project
- "I teach the largest gay and lesbian history class in the country."
- Another year of declines in history enrollments