SOURCE: Wall Street Journal
Long before Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson made the term part of his ring persona, the term had worked its way from Sicilian immigrants to the subcultures of criminals, carnies and con artists and the shop-talk of wrestlers.
SOURCE: Chronicle of Higher Education
One woman's passion for collecting has been an invaluable resource for studies of the evolution of slang, profanity and vulgarisms; after her recent death, an epic quest to preserve the collection ensued.
SOURCE: NPR Codeswitch
The introduction of the term opened the floodgates for a debate about class, womanhood, and Puerto Rico's long history of reggaeton production.
- Josh Hawley Earns F in Early American History
- Does Germany's Holocaust Education Give Cover to Nativism?
- "Car Brain" Has Long Normalized Carnage on the Roads
- Hawley's Use of Fake Patrick Henry Quote a Revealing Error
- Health Researchers Show Segregation 100 Years Ago Harmed Black Health, and Effects Continue Today
- Nelson Lichtenstein on a Half Century of Labor History
- Can America Handle a 250th Anniversary?
- New Research Shows British Industrialization Drew Ironworking Methods from Colonized and Enslaved Jamaicans
- The American Revolution Remains a Hotly Contested Symbolic Field
- Untangling Fact and Fiction in the Story of a Nazi-Era Brothel