SOURCE: Religion News Services
The Sectarian Element in Russia's Invasion of Ukraine
by Knox Thames
Despite a broadly common affiliation with Orthodoxy, Russian imperialism seeks to supplant the authority of Ukrainian Orthodox sects with a Russian Orthodoxy more aligned with Putin's regime.
At 50th Anniversary of "Bloody Sunday" Peace Feels Less Certain
by Mark Holan
A hometown headline 50 years ago introduced the author to the Troubles in Northern Ireland; at the anniversary of Derry's "Bloody Sunday" a hard-won peace feels precarious.
SOURCE: Washington Post
What the U.S. Can Learn from the History of Northern Ireland
by Andrew Sanders
British soldiers deployed to Northern Ireland in 1969 in an operation intended to be a temporary action to quell sectarian violence and inflammatory mob and police attacks on Catholic civil rights advocates. They remained until 2007, a lesson that American politicians should heed.
Covering the Troubles in Northern Ireland
by Ron Steinman
I covered the Troubles in Northern Ireland for NBC News for four years, from the summer of 1969 until 1973. Even as a journalist with significant experience covering conflict, I knew I was in for a new ride.
- The Debt Ceiling Law is now a Tool of Partisan Political Power; Abolish It
- Amitai Etzioni, Theorist of Communitarianism, Dies at 94
- Kagan, Sotomayor Join SCOTUS Cons in Sticking it to Unions
- New Evidence: Rehnquist Pretty Much OK with Plessy v. Ferguson
- Ohio Unions Link Academic Freedom and the Freedom to Strike
- First Round of Obama Administration Oral Histories Focus on Political Fault Lines and Policy Tradeoffs
- The Tulsa Race Massacre was an Attack on Black People; Rebuilding Policies were an Attack on Black Wealth
- British Universities are Researching Ties to Slavery. Conservative Alumni Say "Enough"
- Martha Hodes Reconstructs Her Memory of a 1970 Hijacking
- Jeremi Suri: Texas Higher Ed Conflict "Doesn't Have to Be This Way"
- New transcript of Ayn Rand at West Point in 1974 shows she claimed “savage" Indians had no right to live here just because they were born here
- The Mexican War Suggests Ukraine May End Up Conceding Crimea. World War I Suggests the Price May Be Tragic if it Doesn't
- The Vietnam War Crimes You Never Heard Of