SOURCE: The New Yorker
Documentary on the Last Slave Ship to Arrive in the United States Takes on Questions of Memorializing Racist Violence
Margaret Brown's "Descendant" looks at the effort to preserve and promote Africatown, the Alabama coast community founded by people brought on the last slave ship to dock in the United States.
America’s last slave ship could offer a case for reparations
The history of Meaher and the slave ship Clotilda may offer one of the more clear-cut cases for slavery reparations, with identifiable perpetrators and victims.
Alabama moves to protect the Clotilda, believed to be the last ship to bring slaves to the US
Interest in finding the Clotilda reignited in January 2018 after AL.com reporter Ben Raines discovered the remains of a ship near Mobile.
SOURCE: NY Times
‘Ship of Horror’: Discovery of the Last Slave Ship to America Brings New Hope to an Old Community
The people of Africatown are already dreaming that the ship’s bones will reside with them, serving as a key not only to the past but to the future, attracting tourists and sparking a much-needed renaissance.
SOURCE: PBS Newshour
Video of the Week: How discovery of the slave ship Clotilda informs U.S. history
The remains of the last slave ship that came to America have been found in Alabama's Mobile River. In 1860, the schooner Clotilda brought 110 Africans to U.S. shores, decades after it was illegal to import slaves into the country.
SOURCE: National Geographic
Last American slave ship is discovered in Alabama
"This finding is also a critical piece of the story of Africatown, which was built by the resilient descendants of America’s last slave ship."
- Chair of Florida Charter School Board on Firing of Principal: About Policy, Not David Statue
- Graduate Student Strikes Fight Back Against Decades of Austerity, Seek to Revive Opportunity
- When Right Wingers Struggle with Defining "Woke" it Shows they Oppose Pursuing Equality
- Strangelove on the Square: Secret USAF Films Showed Airmen What to Expect if Nuclear War Broke Out
- The Women of the Montgomery Bus Boycott
- New Books Force Consideration of Reconstruction's End from Black Perspective
- Excerpt: How Apartheid South Africa Tried to Create a Libertarian Utopia
- Historian's Book on 1970s NBA Shows Racial Politics around Basketball Have Always Been Ugly
- Kendi: "Anti-woke" Part of Backlash Against Antiracist Protest Movements
- Monica Muñoz Martinez Honored for Truth-Telling in Texas History