SOURCE: New York Times
A celebrated raconteur, Mr. Richardson was described by W magazine as “the man all New York wants to sit beside at dinner."
SOURCE: Guardian (UK)
A Romanian museum is analysing ashes found in a stove to see if they are the remains of seven paintings by Picasso, Matisse, Monet and others that were stolen last year from the Netherlands, an official has said.The prosecutor's spokeswoman, Gabriela Chiru, told Associated Press that Romania's National History Museum was examining the ashes found in the stove of Olga Dogaru. She is the mother of Radu Dogaru, one of three Romanian suspects charged with stealing the paintings from Rotterdam's Kunsthal gallery in a daytime heist.It was the biggest art theft in more than a decade in the Netherlands. The stolen works have an estimated value of tens of millions of dollars if they were sold at auction....
SOURCE: Discovery News
Pablo Picasso, famous for pushing the boundaries of art with cubism, also broke with convention when it came to paint, new research shows. X-ray analysis of some of the painter's masterworks solves a long-standing mystery about the type of paint the artist used on his canvases, revealing it to be basic house paint.Art scholars had long suspected Picasso was one of the first master artists to employ house paint, rather than traditional artists' paint, to achieve a glossy style that hid brush marks. There was no absolute confirmation of this, however, until now.Physicists at Argonne National Laboratory in Lemont, Ill., trained their hard X-ray nanoprobe at Picasso's painting "The Red Armchair," completed in 1931, which they borrowed from the Art Institute of Chicago. The nanoprobe instrument can "see" details down to the level of individual pigment particles, revealing the arrangement of particular chemical elements in the paint....
- A Push to Make Black History Classes a College Graduation Requirement in FL is Mostly Talk but no Action
- As Palmdale Grapples With A Hanging Death, Locals Recall The Area's Racist History
- A Surprising Role Model Emerges for Boris Johnson: F.D.R.
- We Insist: A Century Of Black Music Against State Violence
- The Scars of Being Policed While Black (video)
- ‘A Conflicted Cultural Force’: What It’s Like to Be Black in Publishing
- Did Rutgers Find The Perfect President For 2020? Meet Jonathan Holloway, Black Historian.
- In Search of King David’s Lost Empire
- Boston To Remove Statue Depicting Abraham Lincoln With Freed Black Man At His Feet
- Mount Rushmore Historian: Monument 'Is Like A Rorschach, It Says Different Things To Different People'