Originally published 02/11/2013
UPDATE, 2-28-13: As of 2:28 pm today, Pope Benedict XVI has stepped down from the papacy.* * * * *In an unexpected announcement today, Pope Benedict XVI stated he is resigning from the papacy as of February 28. Benedict's abdication, reportedly due to ill health, apparently took even the pope's closest advisors by surprise. Indeed, a pope hasn't stepped down from the papacy in over six hundred years, and the few instances when popes have resigned have been for reasons either more political -- or more corrupt -- than health.A look back at the confirmed instances of papal abdication:
- See through the eyes of Rosa Parks
- History will be trailing Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe during his visit to the United States.
- Former foes honour Gallipoli's fallen on 100th anniversary
- Website exhibit unveiled for the first gay sit-in
- Climate Change Contributed Towards the Collapse of the Maya
- How did common people mourn Lincoln after his passing?
- Stanford historian uncovers the dark roots of humanitarianism
- Historian hailed for offering a history of the culture wars
- Scholars to set the West straight about "Apocalyptic Hopes, Millennial Dreams and Global Jihad"
- Why Eugene Genovese’s 2 sentences about Vietnam went viral in 1965