Alexandria Ocasio Cortez
SOURCE: The Guardian
Joanne Freeman: Violent Rhetoric in Congress is Meant to Intimidate Enemies Into Silence
"I suppose that’s what we’re going to see now; the person who does that kind of bullying and that kind of threatening gets a good degree of support for it."
SOURCE: LA Progressive
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez’s Progressive Catholicism
by Walter G. Moss
Although her religious upbringing is not the most prominent part of her public persona, US Representative Alexandria Ocasio Cortez follows a tradition of Catholic advocates for justice.
SOURCE: The New Republic
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Is Right to Warn of “Fascism in the United States”
by Federico Finchelstein, Pablo Piccato and Jason Stanley
American exceptionalism establishes as dogma that Americans are either too good or too dumb to embrace ethnonationalist authoritarianism and overthrow democratic institutions. The authors are not confident this is true.
SOURCE: Washington Post
Socialists were winning U.S. elections long before Bernie Sanders and AOC
The “Pledge of Allegiance” was written by a Christian socialist in 1892. Eugene V. Debs ran for president on a socialist ticket five times; in 1912, he got nearly a million votes.
SOURCE: Washington Post
Citizenship once meant whiteness. Here’s how that changed.
by Ariela Gross and Alejandro de la Fuente
Free people of color challenged racial citizenship from the start.
Has Democratic Socialism a Future in American Politics?
by Lawrence Wittner
If it does, it likely will occur within the Democratic Party. There’s already evidence showing it has.
- Chair of Florida Charter School Board on Firing of Principal: About Policy, Not David Statue
- Graduate Student Strikes Fight Back Against Decades of Austerity, Seek to Revive Opportunity
- When Right Wingers Struggle with Defining "Woke" it Shows they Oppose Pursuing Equality
- Strangelove on the Square: Secret USAF Films Showed Airmen What to Expect if Nuclear War Broke Out
- The Women of the Montgomery Bus Boycott
- New Books Force Consideration of Reconstruction's End from Black Perspective
- Excerpt: How Apartheid South Africa Tried to Create a Libertarian Utopia
- Historian's Book on 1970s NBA Shows Racial Politics around Basketball Have Always Been Ugly
- Kendi: "Anti-woke" Part of Backlash Against Antiracist Protest Movements
- Monica Muñoz Martinez Honored for Truth-Telling in Texas History