SOURCE: Bloomberg CityLab
Can Virginia Preserve the Sites of "Green Book" Travel from the Jim Crow Era?
A new law in Virginia would declare the sites promoted as safe and welcoming for Black travelers in a widely-circulated travel guide from the segregation era to be historic and worthy of protection against development.
SOURCE: National History Center and Woodrow Wilson Center
Traveling Black: Mia Bay Joins the Washington History Seminar, September 20
Mia Bay's new book "places the right to unrestricted mobility at the center of the twentieth-century black freedom struggle." She addresses the Washington History Seminar on Monday, September 20 at 4:00 EDT.
SOURCE: USA Today
A Look Inside the Green Book, Which Guided Black Travelers Through a Segregated and Hostile America
UCLA historian Scot Brown calls the "Green Book" a "Black GPS" for the Jim Crow era in an overview of the publication that helped African Americans exercise the freedom to travel.
SOURCE: New York Times
The Green Book’s Black History
by Brent Staples
Lessons from the Jim Crow-era travel guide for African-American elites.
SOURCE: The Guardian
From the Green Book to Facebook, how black people still need to outwit racists in rural America
A historical travel guide once listed safe pit stops for black motorists in Jim Crow America. When a family sought similar advice on Facebook last year, they were deluged with replies.
- The Debt Ceiling Law is now a Tool of Partisan Political Power; Abolish It
- Amitai Etzioni, Theorist of Communitarianism, Dies at 94
- Kagan, Sotomayor Join SCOTUS Cons in Sticking it to Unions
- New Evidence: Rehnquist Pretty Much OK with Plessy v. Ferguson
- Ohio Unions Link Academic Freedom and the Freedom to Strike
- First Round of Obama Administration Oral Histories Focus on Political Fault Lines and Policy Tradeoffs
- The Tulsa Race Massacre was an Attack on Black People; Rebuilding Policies were an Attack on Black Wealth
- British Universities are Researching Ties to Slavery. Conservative Alumni Say "Enough"
- Martha Hodes Reconstructs Her Memory of a 1970 Hijacking
- Jeremi Suri: Texas Higher Ed Conflict "Doesn't Have to Be This Way"
- New transcript of Ayn Rand at West Point in 1974 shows she claimed “savage" Indians had no right to live here just because they were born here
- The Mexican War Suggests Ukraine May End Up Conceding Crimea. World War I Suggests the Price May Be Tragic if it Doesn't
- The Vietnam War Crimes You Never Heard Of