SOURCE: Washington Post
We’ve Forgotten the Worst President in American History
by Ted Widmer
What is the legacy of bad presidents today? Do we need them to remind us of the perils of the job? If so, Americans should be grateful to James Buchanan.
Trump and Lincoln Are Opposite Kinds of Presidents
When historians rank the worst presidents in American history, indecision and inaction in the face of crisis are common attributes. Until now, most of the worst served before or after the Civil War.
SOURCE: The New York Times
The Coronavirus Test Is Too Hard for Trump
by Jamelle Bouie
The president joins Herbert Hoover and James Buchanan as a leader who failed when it mattered most.
Edwin Stanton Was Part of the ‘Resistance’—in 1860
by Adam Rowe
If President Buchanan’s experience is a precedent, Trump’s internal critic may privately flatter him.
They Were Bad. He May Be Worse.
by Sean Wilentz
The best way to evaluate President Trump's first year in office is to compare him not with the great presidents but with the worst.
- The Debt Ceiling Law is now a Tool of Partisan Political Power; Abolish It
- Amitai Etzioni, Theorist of Communitarianism, Dies at 94
- Kagan, Sotomayor Join SCOTUS Cons in Sticking it to Unions
- New Evidence: Rehnquist Pretty Much OK with Plessy v. Ferguson
- Ohio Unions Link Academic Freedom and the Freedom to Strike
- First Round of Obama Administration Oral Histories Focus on Political Fault Lines and Policy Tradeoffs
- The Tulsa Race Massacre was an Attack on Black People; Rebuilding Policies were an Attack on Black Wealth
- British Universities are Researching Ties to Slavery. Conservative Alumni Say "Enough"
- Martha Hodes Reconstructs Her Memory of a 1970 Hijacking
- Jeremi Suri: Texas Higher Ed Conflict "Doesn't Have to Be This Way"
- New transcript of Ayn Rand at West Point in 1974 shows she claimed “savage" Indians had no right to live here just because they were born here
- The Mexican War Suggests Ukraine May End Up Conceding Crimea. World War I Suggests the Price May Be Tragic if it Doesn't
- The Vietnam War Crimes You Never Heard Of