Originally published 11/20/2013
Marie Tippit, whose husband J.D. Tippit was shot by Lee Harvey Oswald, received a condolence letter from Jackie Kennedy.
Originally published 11/27/2017
Director Peter Glenville Was a Brilliant Artist, a Conservative—and in the Closet in 1960’s Hollywood
Peter Glenville led a multifaceted life: a prominent Cold War-era director who worked with Richard Burton and Peter O’Toole, a staunch conservative Catholic, and a gay man.
- 50 Years Later, It Feels Familiar: How America Fractured in 1968
- Hawaii False Alarm Hints at Thin Line Between Mishap and Nuclear War
- Ohio Teacher Put on Leave After Lynching Remark to Black Student
- One year in, Donald Trump has redefined the presidency
- In Trump’s Immigration Remarks, Echoes of a Century-Old Racial Ranking
- Sports Historian Explains Why She Wrote that the NCAA is the Modern Jim Crow
- Ibram X. Kendi says "The Heartbeat of Racism Is Denial”
- Historians Call Trump’s ‘Sh*thole’ Comment "The Most Openly Racist by a President in Decades"
- Bruce Cole, renaissance scholar who led National Endowment for the Humanities, dies at 79
- New book lays out for the first time the full story of Cuba's Cuban Missile Crisis