War of 1812
Originally published 10/15/2014
Don't ask British people ... most don't know this ever happened.
Originally published 12/19/2013
About 125 reenactors participated in the commemorations.
Originally published 10/14/2013
Lessons from America's most forgotten war.
Originally published 10/08/2013
Ballast stones found in the Connecticut River may be tied to a battle in which the British set fire to 25 vessels, the war's largest maritime loss.
Originally published 02/04/2013
OTTAWA - The splashy home pages for the Harper government's elaborate War of 1812 website were by far the most popular feature for visitors who crowded into the online museum last year, thanks to an ad blitz during the Olympics.The next most popular page? The exit.The government spent upwards of $28 million to commemorate the 200th anniversary of the War of 1812, billing it as an under-appreciated piece of Canadian history.Indeed, polls conducted in the years prior to the anniversary suggested most Canadians had little knowledge or interest in the conflict that some argue lay the groundwork for Confederation....
Originally published 03/10/2015
Stone Age Brain
In which I predict how she handled the email controversy at her news conference.
Originally published 11/04/2014
There's No There There
Whatever the eventual outcome in Ukraine, Russian interests will have to be atken into account.
- German Vice Chancellor Condemns Populist's Holocaust Remarks
- Arizona scuttles bill that took aim at whiteness studies
- Maine governor offers John Lewis an erroneous history lesson
- How Trump's Inauguration Compares to Inaugurations Past
- The Fake News Pioneer of Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus
- Jack Rakove tells League of Women Voters Electoral College needs to be abolished
- Juan Cole says Chelsea Manning’s leaks contributed to the revolution in Tunisia
- Bacevich and Mearsheimer on Obama’s Legacy
- Where Historians Work: An Interactive Database of History PhD Career Outcomes
- GW history department targeted by conservative media after curriculum change was announced