SOURCE: Profs and Pints
Historian Denver Brunsman will join the Profs and Pints series of (virtual) discussions to talk about the British attack on Washington in 1814 and its impact on American nationalism and the local urban boosters of the capital city.
SOURCE: Creators Syndicate
by Jamie Stiehm
It's odd that Trump could give a speech about Francis Scott Key with nearly all the facts wrong; the slaveowner was a key adviser to Andrew Jackson, the model for Trump's brand of white reactionary populism.
SOURCE: The Conversation
by Renée Lafferty-Salhany
“Didn’t you guys burn down the White House?”
The problem with Trump's comments to Trudeau is that British troops burned down the White House during the War of 1812, not Canada.
by Peter Snow
Don't ask British people ... most don't know this ever happened.
SOURCE: Buffalo News
About 125 reenactors participated in the commemorations.
SOURCE: Associated Press
Lessons from America's most forgotten war.
SOURCE: Los Angeles Times
Ballast stones found in the Connecticut River may be tied to a battle in which the British set fire to 25 vessels, the war's largest maritime loss.
OTTAWA - The splashy home pages for the Harper government's elaborate War of 1812 website were by far the most popular feature for visitors who crowded into the online museum last year, thanks to an ad blitz during the Olympics.The next most popular page? The exit.The government spent upwards of $28 million to commemorate the 200th anniversary of the War of 1812, billing it as an under-appreciated piece of Canadian history.Indeed, polls conducted in the years prior to the anniversary suggested most Canadians had little knowledge or interest in the conflict that some argue lay the groundwork for Confederation....
- Black Family and Kansas History Converge at Nicodemus Reunion
- Law is Unclear Whether Public College Faculty Have Free Speech Rights in Classroom
- Recovering the Story of the Black Men who were the Nation's First Paramedics
- U of Idaho Advises Faculty of Legal Jeopardy for Discussing Abortion in Classrooms
- The Long Shadow of Pinochet Over Chile's Constitutional Referendum
- Misha Matsumoto Yee is Gilder Lehrman's History Teacher of the Year
- Aaron Burr: The Highest Ranking US Official to be Charged with Treason – So Far?
- When Italian Immigrants were Tricked into Debt Peonage in the Jim Crow South
- Joshua Tait: Will Thiel-Backed Extremists Torpedo GOP Senate Hopes?
- Marcus Weaver-Hightower on the Politics of School Lunch